Moisture is every homeowner’s nightmare. Clunky dehumidifiers won’t work in small spaces like closets and gun safes, though.
This is where battery-operated dehumidifiers come in. However, there are so many on the market that it’s hard to figure out which one is best.
After testing six products, I found the MXRJUWM Wireless Dehumidifier to be the best battery-operated dehumidifier. It has a cylindrical shape, so it absorbs water from all angles.
I have separated the dehumidifiers into five categories: best budget, best overall, best for larger spaces, most inconspicuous, easiest to transport, and best extra features. Each dehumidifier is non-toxic.
The six best dehumidifiers on the market in 2021 are;
- MXRJUWM Wireless Small Dehumidifier (Editor’s Choice)
- Eva-Dry Wireless Mini Dehumidifier
- Good Worth Mini Renewable Cordless Dehumidifier
- Pro Breeze Wireless Mini Dehumidifier
- New and Improved Eva-dry E-500 Renewable Mini Dehumidifier Ezpur Renewable Mini Dehumidifier
The Best Portable and Battery Operated Dehumidifiers Reviews
1. MXRJUWM Wireless Small Dehumidifier – Best Overall
The MXRJUWM dehumidifier is the most unique product on our list because of its cylindrical shape. This means there are more open holes that allow the device to absorb moisture.
The item’s charging base automatically shuts off, making it safer than some of the other dehumidifiers on the list.
This item comes with a separate charging base, so be sure to put it in a safe place. This item works great in cars and gym bags.
- Charging base shuts off after a certain period of time.
- Cylindrical Shape means the unit absorbs water from all angles.
- Charging base is separate, so you’ll have to make sure you remember where you put it.
2. Eva-Dry Wireless Mini Dehumidifier, White (E-333) – Best Budget Dehumidifier
The Eva-Dry Wireless Dehumidifier’s E-333 model includes silica gel beads that turn from orange to green when the unit needs to recharge. It covers areas up to 333 cubic feet. It comes with a five year warranty. It absorbs four to six ounces of moisture per cycle.
It’s easy to use and you don’t need any prior knowledge to figure this device out. If you’re new to using dehumidifiers in small spaces, the E-333 may be a good way to go.
- Includes the plug on the back of the unit.
- Hot while charging, so it’s hard to touch.
3. Good Worth Mini Renewable Cordless Dehumidifier – Best Extra Features
The Good Worth Mini Renewable Cordless Dehumidifier is a unique device. This unit comes with a detachable shoe dryer. The unit can absorb up to 6.76 ounces of water per cycle. The device also comes with a hook to hang it from a closet.
However, the donut shape of the product may not be the best fit for every space. Also, with a separate charging base, you have to know where the base is when the unit needs charging.
- It only takes two to three hours to renew the silica beads.
- Detachable Shoe Dryer
- Donut shape may not fit well everywhere.
- Separate charging base
4. Pro Breeze Wireless Mini Dehumidifier – Easiest to Transport
The Pro Breeze Wireless Mini Dehumidifier is best for people who are dealing with mild humidity. It has a moisture absorbing capacity of up to five ounces. It takes 8 to 10 hours to renew the silica gel inside the device before it’s usable again. With such a low capacity, it wouldn’t be wise to place this in areas with high levels of humidity.
The Pro Breeze Rechargeable Dehumidifier works in areas up to 333 cubic feet. It’s lightweight, so it is easy to transport and put in many areas.
- Lightweight: This wireless dehumidifier weighs less than one pound.
- Small moisture capacity so it may need to charge often.
- Humidity indicator window is very small so it may be hard to read.
5. New and Improved Eva-dry E-500 Renewable Mini Dehumidifier – Best for Larger Spaces
The New and Improved Eva-Dry E-500 Renewable Mini Dehumidifier is a step up from the company’s E-333 model. It is a little smaller in size than the E-333 and lasts for a range of about one to three weeks. Like other dehumidifiers on the list, it is completely silent when running. This item comes with a five year manufacturer’s warranty.
The E-500’s weight means it charges best when plugged into a power strip connected to an outlet. The E-500 tends to fall out of a normal power outlet. However, the E-500 will likely take up most of the room on your power strip. The rechargeable E-500 is the second product from Eva-Dry on our list, and for good reason. The brand is well-established and known for their customer service.
This item is the best purchase for those who have larger areas they need to keep dry, such as a larger gun safe or closet.
- Long lifespan. The Eva-Dry E-500 runs for up to ten years.
- Largest area of coverage. It works in areas measuring up to 500 cubic feet.
- At 1.8 lbs, the E-500 is heavier than others on our list.
6. Ezpur Renewable Mini Dehumidifier – Most Inconspicuous
The Ezpur Renewable Mini Dehumidifier is a small unit that’s rechargeable and easy to hide. It has a compact design that is easy to put in a variety of places. It’s the size of a smartphone box, so it’s easy to hide if you don’t want to see it. It absorbs up to six ounces of moisture with each charge.
The Ezpur gets extra points since it can be used in a refrigerator away from the inner wall. However, it is important to note that this item does not come with a hook so you can hang it in closets or other areas.
The Ezpur is the best choice for people who do not want to see the device and have a small area they need to keep dry.
- Small and compact design. Ezpur is concealed in most places.
- Takes about 12 to 15 hours to charge.
- Needs recharging often. This is especially true if you live in a humid area.
Guide To Buying Battery Operated Dehumidifier
Battery operated dehumidifiers are often sold at a lower cost. These moisture absorbing units are low on energy consumption and lower humidity. They function in many different ways. They control the growth of mold and mildew that accompanies high humidity levels. Many are energy star certified, and most are nontoxic. This puts many homeowners at ease, especially if they have children.
Types of dehumidifiers
Refrigerator-Style: This style of dehumidifiers is one of the most common types. These take in the air from a room and cool it, which dehumidifies the air. Then it releases the cool air back into the room. However, they aren’t good for cold climates, as they can only cool air to certain points.
Desiccant Dehumidifiers: These are the other most common type of dehumidifiers you might see while shopping. They work by taking in air and passing it over a desiccant material such as silica gel crystals or silica gel beads, which absorb water. They work well for cold climates.
Mini Dehumidifiers: These dehumidifiers are great for small spaces. They are often more affordable and come in corded and cordless versions. Cordless versions plug straight into a power outlet or run on batteries. Many use the same silica gel technology as their desiccant counterparts.
Portable Dehumidifiers: These are pretty self-explanatory. While these dehumidifiers are portable, many still need electricity or an outlet.
What Features to Compare
Size and Capacity
These are the most important specifications to look for when choosing a dehumidifier. You need to make sure the one you’re looking to buy will suit your needs. Dehumidifiers have a maximum capacity of moisture they can absorb. It’s measured in ounces or milliliters.
Certain dehumidifiers also work best when placed in an appropriately-sized area. Many dehumidifiers will tell you what sized area the item works best in, measured in cubic feet or square feet. 100 cu ft and 100 sq ft are two different measurements, so it’s important to be precise when you measure your space. If you want to take the humidity from a large room, a mini dehumidifier won’t get the job done.
You must consider the design of the dehumidifier you’re purchasing. You need to make sure the device will be able to fit where you want it.
The time it takes battery operated dehumidifiers to recharge varies by brand. It takes anywhere from two to fifteen hours to refresh the silica gel beads. It might be good to invest in multiple dehumidifiers so you never end up without one when you need it. This will lower the risk of developing mold and mildew.
Q. What is a battery powered dehumidifier?
A. A battery powered dehumidifier removes moisture (in the form of water) from the air around it. It does not need to be plugged into work. It runs on batteries or electricity.
Q. What are the technologies used in a battery powered dehumidifier?
A. Most battery powered dehumidifiers use silica gel beads to remove moisture from the air. Air flows through openings and the beads trap moisture. The beads change color as they become wet. Once the beads are completely saturated, heat the silica beads to “refresh” them. This process dries out the silica gel beads so you can use them again.
Q. How long the battery operating dehumidifier lasts?
A.The time varies. Most last between 20 and 30 days. However, if they are in areas of high humidity, then they will not last as long. After the product is full of moisture, you must dry out the beads (which “recharges” the batteries).
Q. Where to use the battery powered dehumidifiers in the house- Uses
A. Use these in closets, bathrooms, small bedrooms, storage boxes, safes, or any small area that needs to be dry. Dehumidifiers powered by batteries function best in areas that are certain sq ft.
Battery operated dehumidifiers are easy to use solutions for small spaces. They don’t need a lot of maintenance. It’s important to remember what you’re buying the device for and choose one that fits your needs.
The clear winner of the roundup is the MXRJUWM Wireless Small Dehumidifier. It works everywhere and is portable. It absorbs moisture from all angles, while the others only absorb moisture from one side.
Check Out Our More Guides:
- Best Dehumidifier For Attic
- Best Dehumidifier For Car
- Best Dehumidifier For Garage
- Best Dehumidifier With Pump
- Best 30 Pint Dehumidifier
- Best Dehumidifier For Bathroom
- The Best Portable and Battery Operated Dehumidifiers Reviews
- 1. MXRJUWM Wireless Small Dehumidifier – Best Overall
- 2. Eva-Dry Wireless Mini Dehumidifier, White (E-333) – Best Budget Dehumidifier
- 3. Good Worth Mini Renewable Cordless Dehumidifier – Best Extra Features
- 5. New and Improved Eva-dry E-500 Renewable Mini Dehumidifier – Best for Larger Spaces
- 6. Ezpur Renewable Mini Dehumidifier – Most Inconspicuous
- Guide To Buying Battery Operated Dehumidifier
- What Features to Compare
- Our Verdict